top of page
Image by Aditya Chinchure

Tax Clinic

The CAA with be working with the CRA to facilitate student tax filers to complete student taxes. Registration for tax filing will open soon!

Please read the below eligibility criteria to see if you can register for our services.


In order to be eligible for the CVITP, individuals must have a modest income and a simple tax situation.

This may include:

  • adults 65 years and older

  • housing-insecure individuals

  • Indigenous Peoples

  • modest-income individuals

  • newcomers

  • persons with disabilities

  • students and youth


Modest Income


The following table provides a guideline to determine what is considered a modest income. In general, a modest income means the total family income is less than or equal to the amount shown in the chart below, based on the size of the family.

Suggested income levels Suggested income levels


Family size             Total family income

   1 person                 $35,000

   2 people                 $45,000

   3 people                 $47,500

   4 people                 $50,000

   5 people                 $52,500


More than 5 people $52,500, plus $2,500 for each additional person

Family size includes an individual, or a couple, and their dependants.




Community organizations can adjust the total family income for their clients based on the local economic environment, the population they serve, and their resources. Organizations may also create additional criteria for the community they serve. If a host organization chooses to modify the family income amounts for their tax clinic, they should include details when posting clinic information on 


Simple tax situation


In general, a tax situation is simple if an individual has no income or if their income comes from these sources:

  • employment

  • pension

  • benefits, such as the Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, disability insurance, employment insurance, and social assistance

  • Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs)

  • scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, or grants

  • interest (under $1,000)


The CVITP does not provide training or support for complex tax situations. Volunteers should not complete returns with the following:

  • self-employment income or employment expenses * (see Exception 1)

  • business income and expenses

  • rental income and expenses

  • interest income over $1,000

  • capital gains or losses

  • bankruptcy in the tax year (or the year before, if that return has not yet been filed)

  • deceased person

  • foreign property (T1135)

  • foreign income ** (see Exception 2)


*Exception 1


Individuals who have a T4A slip, Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income, that shows self-employed or business in box 048 may be eligible to have their tax return completed through the CVITP if all of the following conditions are met:

  • the total income in box 048 is under $1,000

  • no expenses are claimed

  • the individual is not registered as a GST/HST registrant and is not required to be one


**Exception 2:


Individuals who receive U.S. Social Security benefits are eligible to have their tax return completed through the CVITP. Any other type of foreign income (including a foreign pension) would not be considered a simple tax situation.



  • Volunteers are not expected to answer complex tax questions. If a taxpayer needs information that is beyond the volunteer’s expertise, they should go to or call 1-800-959-8281.

  • Volunteers should only complete tax returns they feel comfortable preparing based on the information the taxpayer gives them.

Registration Steps


Spaces are limited! Register now: 



Once you have registered, we will send you a registration link to sign up for your time slot.



Please prepare the following items/documents to physically bring to your free tax clinic time slot:


- Two pieces of government issued ID's

- USB stick (empty if possible)

- Your SIN number (only share this info with your designated tax filer)


- T4 (if applicable)

- T4E (if applicable)

- T5 (if applicable)

- T5007 (if applicable)

- T4RSP (if applicable)

- T4A (if applicable)

- T2022


- All other documents applicable for taxes not listed above (for example, lease agreement for rental amount, medical expenses, charitable donation receipts, etc.)





While our Tax Clinic provides guidance and support, please note that we are not liable for any issues arising from tax filing. Participants are responsible for ensuring the accuracy and completeness of their tax returns. Our assistance is provided as a resource and educational service, but ultimate responsibility for compliance with tax laws rests with the individual taxpayer. Thank you for your understanding.

bottom of page